Known as “The Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World”, Franklin was settled in the 17th century. The village known as Franklin Furnace, after Benjamin Franklin, was developed as a mining town in the earlier part of the 20th century and incorporated, as Franklin Borough, in 1913.
Franklin borough has a total area of 4.570 square miles and his home to an estimated 5,045 residents.
Residents can enjoy the recreational facilities at Franklin Pond, which offers a playground, tennis courts, a summer arts and crafts programs and concerts in the pavilion.
The borough is also home to the Franklin Band, continuing a musical tradition of over 100 years. The band, which dates to 1880 and has third generation members, performs frequently in parades and concerts.