In 1800, Isaac V. Coursen named the Stillwater Township area “Coursen’s Corners” after establishing a post office in his store, the Coursen House, but changed the name to Fredon Village before his death in 1855. It is believed that ‘Fredon’ is derived from the German word ‘fredonia,’ meaning place of freedom.”
Officially designated in 1904, Fredon Township was formed from parts of Andover, Green, Hampton and Stillwater Townships and it became the youngest township in Sussex County.
The township has an area of 18 square miles and an estimated population of 3,437 residents.
The New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad operated from 1872 until 1962 along the border of Fredon, taking agricultural products to the city. Today the right-of-way has been developed into the Paulinskill Valley Trail, a non-motorized multi-use trail that is part of the Kittatinny Valley State Park. This has become a wonderful place to hike, run, cross-country ski and horse back ride.