Jefferson Township is the northernmost township in Morris County, and was formed as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 11, 1804, from portions of Pequannock Township and Roxbury Township. The township was named after Thomas Jefferson; the President of the United States at the time the Township was created.
The township can be divided into two halves, Milton and Lake Hopatcong. Each half has its own first-aid squad, fire department substation, and set of elementary schools. The Jefferson Township Municipal Building, Middle School, High School, Recycling Center, and school bus depot are positioned at the boundary between the two halves of the township
There are approximately 21,314 people, 7,830 households, and 5,794 families residing in the township.