Mine Hill was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 2, 1923, from portions of Randolph Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 8, 1923.
Mining in Mine Hill dates back to the early 18th century, and the township had some of the richest sources of iron ore in the country. Mahlon Dickerson, who was New Jersey’s 12th Governor and his family, owned the Dickerson Mine, which was the largest ore mine in the area, supplying much of the iron ore used during the American Revolutionary War. The last mine in the township closed in the late 1960s.
The township has approximately 3,651 residents, 1,329 households, and 976.8 families.