Montville was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 11, 1867, from portions of Pequannock Township.
The area now known as Montville Township was first settled by Dutch farmers from New Amsterdam in the very early 18th century. Part of New Netherland, the town was originally called “Uyle-Kill” (the Dutch spelling of “Owl-Kill”), a name given to the creek and valley, which ran through the area. By the 1740s, the settlement had grown in size and construction of the first road was begun. The early road, now known as U.S. Route 202, connected various farms with Montville’s first gristmill, sawmill and tanneries. The Dutch Reformed Church was founded in Old Boonton in 1756 and moved to Montville in the early 1800s after land was purchased here for a parsonage.
During the American Revolutionary War, Montville was on a major military route from Morristown to the Hudson River. General George Washington’s troops often took this route and Washington stayed in the Towaco section of what is now Montville Township in June 1780. The French troops under the leadership of General Rochambeau spent four days passing through Montville Township on their way to the War’s final victory at Yorktown, Virginia, as part of a group of 5,000 soldiers, 2,000 horses, 500 oxen, possibly 900 cattle, artillery, boats and followers.
Montville was officially named with specific boundaries April 1800. The name came from the Mandeville Inn, which was established around 1770 and was pronounced “Mondeveil” by the Dutch, which in turn was corrupted to Montville. The Montville Inn was, up until July 2006 located at the site of the pre-Revolutionary War Mandeville Inn, which burned down in the early Twentieth Century.
In Money magazine’s 2013 Best Places to Live rankings, Montville was ranked 13th in the nation, the second-highest among the three places in New Jersey included in the top 50 list.