Randolph was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on January 1, 1806, from portions of Mendham Township. Portions of the township were taken on April 1, 1869, to create Dover Town within the township, which became an independent municipality in 1896. Other portions of the township were taken to create Port Oram (June 26, 1895, now Wharton), Mine Hill Township (March 2, 1923) and Victory Gardens (June 20, 1951). There are several sections of Randolph, including Mount Freedom, Center Grove, Fernbrook, Ironia, and Shongum.
Randolph became a vacation haven in the early part of the 20th century, known for its woods, ponds, lakes and air. Through the 1950s, farms, large hotels and bungalow colonies dotted the community. Performers such as Phil Silvers, and Frank Sinatra appeared at the hotels. Boxers Max Baer, Floyd Patterson, James J. Braddock and Rocky Marciano trained or fought at the Saltz Hotel.
Today, Randolph is recognized as a superb town to live and raise a family. Located in the center of prestigious Morris County, Randolph benefits from excellent schools, beautiful parks and terrific recreation programs.