When Rockaway Village incorporated as a Borough in 1894, it was already one hundred sixty years old. The first settlers arrived about 1730. By 1760, Rockaway Village had already become the center for trade, manufacture, and religion. General merchandise stores were clustered along Newark Street (now Main Street), with the Presbyterian Meeting House nearby; a grist mill, saw mill, and a forge had been built on the Rockaway River. Three significant roads led to newly opened mines and forges at Mt. Hope, White Meadow, Beaver Brook, Hibernia, Mt. Pleasant, and Dover. Early in the 1900’s, there were two major railroads, a trolley line, an iron foundry, an inclined plane and two basins of the Morris Canal, a bicycle factory, a three story department store selling everything from bonnets to bedsteads, and three hotels, including one that was a favorite of Annie Oakley.